Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Choc-o-Choc-o Chip

This weeks blog is for my amazing roommate, Mr. Matthew Renskers.  Matt and I went to college together at Ball State, but he was two years ahead of me.  After he graduated, he went on to get his Master's with the Alabama Shakespeare Festival.  Once he moved here, they formed the BAMA Theatre Company, and are being featured at this years Fringe Festival here in NYC.   Anyway, his show opens this weekend, and his favorite thing in the world are cookies.  So I am making him a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough cupcake.  I found a recipe @ Annie's Eats.  OF COURSE, I am tweaking a bit...very slightly.  There is nothing wrong with this cupcake...except for the filling.

The name of this post gives homage to the amazingly ridiculous- so stupid you can't help but laugh- youtube video, "Muffins".  I HIGHLY recommend this video.  I first was exposed to this insane creature when my brother and sister decided that it was the most hilarious thing they had ever seen.  My brother and sister were, at the time, 13 and 11, so they pretty much find everything funny, HOWEVER...I laugh every time I watch it.  I started laughing when I typed it into the 'Title' block.  Needless to say it has become a family favorite.  WATCH IT!

This weeks recipe...I must say...is probably going to become a favorite.  This is pretty random, but living in NYC doesn't allow for much kitchen space.  My roomies are so kind as to allow me to use this shelf for my baking goods!  I wish there was a magic fairy who would replenish it while I was asleep.

 When Matt tasted them he told me to put them at the top of the yumcakes recipe list.  When they were baking they smelled like heaven.  And I must say that this was the most beautiful cake batter ever!

So here it is y'all.  This weeks yumcake!  Enjoy.

 
'Choc-o-Choc-o Chip'
350 F - 18-20 Min - 24 yumcakes

Yumcake:
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
4 large eggs
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips (put as many as you want in there)

Filling:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
6 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons, all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (again...use as many as you want)

***If you want to cut this step out...you can buy those cute little pre-squared raw cookie dough and stuff those in there.  But you should note that you get the same idea with this filling without the raw eggs.

Frosting:
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons milk
2 1/2 teaspoon vanilla



1.  Cream together the butter and the brown sugar until light and fluffy, literally 5 minutes.  This makes such a huge difference and I can't stress enough to find your patience.
2.  Mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3.  Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
4.  Mix the dry ingredients into the butter/sugar, alternating with the milk and vanilla, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
5.  Fold in the chocolate chips

6.  Fill baking cups 2/3 of the way and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.



For Filling:
1.  Cream together the butter and augar.
2.  Beat in the flour, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until smooth.
3.  Fold in the chocolate chips.
4.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firmed.
5.  Cut a cone off the top of the cooled cupcakes and insert a little ball of filling.
6.  Insert the top of the cone back over and frost!

Frosting:
1.  Cream the butter and brown sugar
2.  Mix in the confectioner's sugar, until smooth.
3.  Mix in the flour and salt.
4.  Mix in the milk and vanilla until smooth.


Matt was very excited!
                                      

Look who stopped in....Miss New York....she typed this without me knowing...so they must be pretty durn good.

Testimonial:  "Holy cow - these are by far, my favorite cupcakes that Carlie has ever made!!  I will need to move out of our apartment NOW if I want to stand any chance at winning a Miss America swimsuit award because I could eat anything from yumcakes for every meal." - Claire, Miss New York



1 comment:

  1. These cupcakes are AMAZING!!!! I was thinking that they were going to be overly sweet, but they were absolutely perfect. Well done, Carlie!!!

    ReplyDelete