Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mango Licious

One of my favorite things to eat for dessert is fruit with a fresh whipped cream.  But it wasn't that dessert that inspired this weeks cupcake.  Matt (BF) made us a delicious dessert a few weeks ago that was a half of a mango that was 'bruleed' in the broiler using brown sugar.  It was insanely good.

I knew that I could turn this into a yumcake somehow so I decided on a Mango Mousse Cupcake with Brown Sugar Frosting.  I can get the fruit with the whipped cream!!! YAY!  I found a recipe for a Mango Mousse cake and made it into a cupcake.

So unfortunately...this week.  I didn't make my recipe (gulp).  There is no excuse...but if their were, would you believe me if I told you its been one of my busiest weeks since...I don't know when?!  My boss is out of town so my work load has doubled and I'm going home tomorrow (yay!)  So I am sorry to let the 9 of you who read my blog down, but  I hope you enjoy!  Anyway...try them out and let me know how the recipe is?!  Please :)


Mangolicious
 325F - 30 minutes - 24 yum cakes


yumcake:

3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon lime zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 stick of butter

mousse:
3 cups mango puree, or 2 mangoes pureed
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 packages unflavored gelatin
2 cups whipped cream

yumcake:

1.  In mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy.  Add sugar and beat until pale for about 10 minutes.  Mix in lime zest and vanilla.

2.  Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt/  Sift mixture in 3 segments over the egg mixture, folding well after each segment.

3.  Put into baking cups ONLY1/4 full.

4.  Bake for 30 minutes.


Mousse:

1.  Combine mango puree, sugar, orange juice, lime juice and set aside.

2.  In a small saucepan sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup water and let sit for 5 minutes.  Then dissolve the gelatin into water over medium-low heat.

3.  Once dissolved mix with mango puree.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

4.  Once cooled, fold in whipped cream and eat a big spoon full (My favorite part)!


Putting it all together:

1.  Once the cakes have completely cooled you want to spoon the mango mixture on top of the cake until it is even with the baking cup.

2.  Once you have filled all of the cups refrigerate for another hour.

3.  Remove and frost!



Brown Sugar Frosting:

2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 sticks of butter
1/3 cup milk
3 cups of confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla


1.  Dissolve the brown sugar into the milk and butter.  Stir until mixture is smooth.

2.  Pour hot mixture into a bowl and mix in the confectioner's sugar until smooth!

3.  Enjoy!

**Note:  If the frosting has reached a good consistency and you haven't used all 3 cups of sugar.  That's OK!

No comments:

Post a Comment