Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cinco de Mayo

So I realize that I'm just about 3 months late...but I figure that since my last name is Mayo, I can celebrate this whenever I want.  This weeks cup cake is a ...MARGARITA cupcake!  Yum-O!
When I think of Margaritas I think of 1 thing.  Puertos...AKA...porta.  Some of my most fond memories of College involve Puertos and these little delicious yumcakes are my homage to that cheap mexican place on Tillitson in Muncie, IN.


I got some really awesome cupcake things while I was home this past weekend.  A new cooling rack, a carrying case, some new pans ( including a mini cupcake pan)...so I had a really good time making these with my new toys.


Cinco de Mayo
325F - 20-22 Min - 30 yumcakes

yumcake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temp*
3 limes zested and juiced
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk*

*If you forget to let your eggs sit out for a bit, hold each one in your hand for 30 seconds, it will warm it up to room temp.

*If you don't want to buy an entire thing of buttermilk, then for every cup of buttermilk you need take a little less than a cup of milk and mix it with a tablespoon of white vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes...You just made Buttermilk!


Frosting:
2 cups sugar
8 large egg whites
pinch coarse salt
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temp*
2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
2-4 tablespoons tequila

*For the frosting it is very vital that the butter not get too soft.  The butter provides some of the structure for the frosting.


Yumcake:

1.  Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. 
2.  Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 5-7 minutes.
3.  Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well in between each addition.
4.  Mix in the lime zest, juice and vanilla.
5.  Mix in the dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
6.  Bake and cool completely before frosting.


Frosting:

1.  Put the egg whites, sugar and salt into a heat resistant bowl over a pot of simmering water.
2.  Whisk together until the mixture reaches 160F.  If you don't have a thermometer (which I don't) stick your finger in there once you see the sugar starting to dissolve.
3.  Mix on high in a stand mixer until stiff peaks are formed.  Air on the side of too stiff verses not stiff enough.
4.  Mix in the butter 2 tablespoons at a time continually mixing as you go, giving a little time between each addition.
5.  Mix in tequila and lime juice.  If it gets too soupy, switch the mixer back to med-high and it will eventually get more stiff.

Here is what I will tell you about this Frosting...It is a finicky one.  It did not work for me.  However, if you can get it to work it tastes delicious.

Here is what I suggest.... After the yumcakes have baked, I would poke holes in the top and pour the tequila over the yumcake.  Let that absorb and then make  either the regular buttercream or the whipped topping and include the juice and zest of 3 limes.  I think this might work best.  It was wayyyy too hot in my kitchen, so the frosting in the recipe didn't hold up.  However the cake itself is delicious and is very limey.  That, of course can always be adjusted by putting in more lime zest.


Best of luck to you all who have kitchens that aren't so hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment